Monday, October 4, 2010

Branching out

I recently won a copy of The Demon In Me by Michelle Rowen from a contest on Margaret Fisk’s blog, and let me tell you, I’m very glad that I did. Normally, I don’t read paranormal novels, nor books that are classified as actually being romances, though I do tend to favour fantasies that have romantic relationships. Similar, but not the same thing.

Yet, The Demon In Me is classified as a paranormal romance, and while reading it, I realized the truth of something I had heard other writers mention. I really need to branch out in my reading and check out a lot of different genres. Who knows what I might end up learning, or what other amazing books I might find.

Mind you, I haven’t gleaned all that much insight from the book yet, I was mostly just reading it before bed for entertainment this time through, but that doesn’t mean that on a second reading I won’t pick up a few things. In fact, I KNOW that I will, because I remember having at least a couple ‘huh, that’s interesting’ moments while reading. Unfortunately, I can’t for the life of me remember what made me think that now.

The book definitely deserves a second reading, even if it wasn’t for the fact that I need to go back and figure out what those ‘huh’ moments were. Let’s put it this way: instead of finishing up packing and moving stuff last Wednesday morning (we only had our old apartment until Thursday), I spent three hours reading to finish the novel.

This is just one early example. What other out of genre or unusual places have you found that helps your writing? Or, for those who are non-writers, what book have you read outside of your normal realm that has really impressed you?

4 comments:

  1. This is poetic justice because I learned not all chicklit is bad from Michelle's first book when I won it in a blog contest, though best when served with vampires.

    Enjoy branching out. The other limb I've taken a fancy to is urban fantasy and there's a thin dividing line between that and paranormal fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I've got another book waiting to be read, and I believe three others on the way that I've won, so my branching out is going to continue for at least a little while.

    Urban fantasy does sound interesting. I've been wanting to look into some Steampunk as well, so that'll likely be once I get through this list (and probably after NaNo).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I write mainly YA fantasy, but I have to say that literary fiction--and studying English in college--has shaped my writing for the better.

    I love moody, cerebral books. Some of my favorite literary books are WIDE SARGASSO SEA by Jean Rhys and THE LITTLE FRIEND by Donna Tartt. I'd recommend both in a heartbeat (although if you haven't read JANE EYRE yet, you probably should before reading WIDE SARGASSO SEA).

    Really cool post. I think it's integral to writers to read both in and outside of their genres.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the book suggestions! I'll definitely look into them.

    ReplyDelete