Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Aliens on Earth

So, I'm working on a story in which there are aliens that have been living on Earth for years.  That's the easy part, I've got the the why they are on Earth, how they got there, and what they are doing now that they're here.  The hard part is figuring out how exactly they are blending in with us humans.  I mean, their real form would not look human, however for the story to work, they need to appear to be human and blend in.

I know that this has been done in other science fiction in various ways, but at the moment I'm kind of stuck on a way that works for my story.  Take, for example, the TV show Roswell; the main character aliens had human form because they were hybrids and had human DNA with theirs to get human form, but this won't work fro me because to do this my aliens would have to be 'reborn' on Earth.  The other aliens on the show wore what they called 'skins', but that doesn't seem right for my story, either.

The other main idea that's come to mind so far is holograms of the Star Trek variety.  Now, I'm not sure if the holograms actually worked this way in the show, to be able to change the appearance of actual people, but it seemed like a good idea at first.  Until I started thinking about how they would interact, and I doubt that touching or any kind of physical interaction would work very well.

Or, there's the movie My Favourite Martian, where Martin chews nerplex to take human form.  An interesting idea, but since my aliens have been on Earth for over 20 years by the time my story's going to start, it doesn't seem very practical.  I mean, how much nerplex (or similar item) would they need to last over 20 years?

But this still leaves me with the problem of how the aliens in my story can manage to take on human form.  Hopefully I'll solve this problem soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment